Home / Sports / ‘I Made A Huge Mistake’ — Tennis Star Nick Kyrgios Reacts After Failed Cocaine Test

‘I Made A Huge Mistake’ — Tennis Star Nick Kyrgios Reacts After Failed Cocaine Test

Nick Kyrgios Cocaine Test

Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended after testing positive for cocaine, with the former Wimbledon finalist admitting that he made “a huge mistake.”

The International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) announced the suspension on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, following a failed doping test recorded during an ATP event in Mallorca on June 22.

According to the agency, a laboratory accredited by the World Anti-Doping Agency confirmed the result several weeks later.

“On 17 July 2026, a World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) accredited laboratory confirmed the presence of benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine,” the ITIA said.

Kyrgios, 31, responded to the development in a statement shared on Instagram, saying he accepted responsibility for the failed test and apologised to those affected by his actions.

“I made a huge mistake,” he wrote.

“I’m sorry to my fans, my family, my sponsors and everyone close to me.

“Above all, I’m sorry to the kids who follow me.

“I know the example this sets and I’m deeply disappointed in myself.”

The Australian has endured a difficult period in his career despite possessing the talent that once took him into the top ranks of men’s tennis

Kyrgios won seven ATP singles titles and reached a career-high ranking of 13th in the world in 2016. His biggest Grand Slam run came at Wimbledon in 2022, when he reached his first major final before losing to Novak Djokovic.

However, a series of injuries have significantly restricted his career in recent years. He has dealt with problems affecting several parts of his body and underwent major surgery in 2024 to reconstruct his right wrist.

Kyrgios is currently ranked 919th in the world and has made only limited appearances in singles competition in recent years.

Reflecting on the effect of his injury problems, the Australian said they had affected him beyond his physical condition.

“The injuries have taken a huge toll on me both physically and mentally,” he said.

However, Kyrgios acknowledged that his physical and mental struggles could not justify the failed test.

“None of that excuses what I did,” he said.

He described the situation as a turning point and said the suspension had forced him to reconsider his actions.

“However the good news is that this has given me a wake-up call.”

He added: “I’m sorry, I’ll do the work and come back better.”

The ITIA said Kyrgios’ provisional suspension took effect on August 4.

During the suspension, he is barred from participating in or attending events organised or sanctioned by the sport’s major governing bodies.

The agency said: “While suspended Kyrgios is not allowed to play in, coach at, or attend any events organised or sanctioned by World Tennis, WTA, ATP, the Grand Slams, or any national association.”

Kyrgios has previously recorded notable victories against all four members of tennis’ celebrated “Big Four” — Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray.

His career, however, has increasingly been defined by the contrast between his exceptional ability on court and the injuries and controversies that have limited his time at the highest level.

The latest suspension adds another difficult chapter as the Australian attempts to rebuild his career.

COTTON SUITES

Check Also

Alozie faces drug test after Falcons’ win over Zambia

Michelle Alozie was pulled for a drug test following the Super Falcons of Nigeria’s 1-0 …