Home / News / EFCC nabs convicted ex-minister Mamman over N33bn fraud

EFCC nabs convicted ex-minister Mamman over N33bn fraud

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, on Tuesday, said it had arrested former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman, days after he was sentenced in absentia over the alleged diversion of more than N33 billion meant for the Mambilla power project and other electricity schemes.

Mamman’s arrest came less than a week after a court ordered security agencies to apprehend him following his conviction on 12 counts linked to the alleged fraud.

EFCC Chairman, Ola Olukoyede, announced the arrest during a media briefing in Abuja. He said the former minister was apprehended around 3:30 a.m. in Kaduna after intensified intelligence and surveillance operations.

Olukoyede said: “Ladies and gentlemen, you will recall that sometime in January 2025, charges were finally filed against the former Minister for allegedly obtaining over N33 billion meant for the Mambilla and other power projects.

“About 14 or 15 months down the line, specifically on the 7th of this month, we secured conviction on all 12 counts.

“However, because the main defendant was not present, the issue of sentencing was deferred.

“On the 13th of this month, he was sentenced in absentia. Since then, we have intensified our intelligence, surveillance and recovery operations in search of him.

“I am happy to announce to Nigerians that at about 3:30 a.m. this morning, we arrested Mr Saleh Mamman somewhere in Kaduna.”

COTTON SUITES

Check Also

2027: Amaechi rejects ADC Vice Presidential slot

Former Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, has dismissed speculations of playing second fiddle in the forthcoming election. …