Home / News / Desmond Elliot withdraws from Lagos APC house of assembly primary election

Desmond Elliot withdraws from Lagos APC house of assembly primary election

Nollywood actor turned politician, Desmond Elliot, has officially withdrawn from the All Progressives Congress (APC) primaries for the Lagos House Assembly seat for Surulere 1.

themomentng reports that the withdrawal was personally announced by the lawmaker on Wednesday in a video shared on social media.

He cited intimidation of himself and his supporters as the reason for his withdrawal, lamenting that his supporters were not granted access to the venue of the primary election to vote for him.

Elliot is the incumbent lawmaker representing the constituency, and is contesting the party’s ticket for the 2027 election with Barakat Odunuga.

However, speaking at the venue of the exercise, the Executive Chairman of Surulere Local Government, Bamidele Yusuf, said the atmosphere was peaceful as registration and accreditation of delegates began ahead of voting.

Yusuf dismissed allegations on social media that some party members were being intimidated, insisting that the process would be transparent and credible.

He said the APC had earlier conducted its Senate and House of Representatives primaries before moving to the House of Assembly contest.

Meanwhile, it would be recalled that the fourth-term ambition of Elliot to represent Surulere 1 Constituency in the Lagos State House of Assembly has caused tension between him and the Chief of Staff to President Bola Tinubu, Femi Gbajabiamila.

Gbajabiamila is said to have backed the immediate past Lagos Special Adviser on Housing, Barakat Odunuga-Bakare, to replace Elliot in the Assembly.

The move was reportedly part of efforts to promote women and gender inclusion in politics.

The decision was said to have unsettled Elliot, who is determined to test his popularity during the APC House of Assembly primaries.

Sources who spoke with Vanguard said the lawmaker’s bid for a fourth term suffered a setback after President Bola Tinubu allegedly rebuffed appeals by influential persons sent to lobby him on Elliot’s behalf.

COTTON SUITES

Check Also

FG begins payment of overseas scholarship allowances

The Minister of Education, Dr Tunji Alausa, says the Federal Government has commenced payment of …